Everything you need to know about Dermal Fillers!
If you are looking to learn more about derma fillers, then look no further. Commonly used for plumping lips and softening facial creases, derma filler can be the solution to all your facial aesthetics needs.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are minimally invasive gel injections typically made from Hyaluronic Acid, although there are other products that use Calcium Hydroxyapatite or Polylactic Acid. All these chemicals are FDA approved but work in their unique ways for specific problems. These injections help lift and smoothen fine lines and creases in the skin and areas of fat loss.
What are Dermal Fillers used for?
Dermal Fillers are mainly used to address the lower face and can treat conditions such as:
- Moderate to severe lines in the nasolabial folds and marionette lines
- Thin lips
- Loss of facial volume in the cheeks
- Facial scars
- Dark circles around eyes
What do you need to know before your first appointment?
- Most dermal fillers are temporary and do require treatments every 1-2 years depending on the area and type of filler used.
- There will likely be swelling and possibly bruising after the procedure, so a 2 week follow up is done to reassess and see if more filler is needed.
- A week before your appointment, you should take certain precautions that ensure you can avoid the risk associated with the fillers:
- Avoid bleaching, waxing, or anything that can irritate the site of injections.
- Avoid drinking alcohol 24 hours before the appointment.
- Avoid blood-thinning drugs a week before the appointment.
- Discuss the option of using topical anesthesia if you are worried about the pain associated with the injections. Although this is seldom needed it may be used for more sensitive areas like the lips
- After you get your injections, make sure you take the following precautions to reduce the chances of side effects:
- Avoid activities that expose you to intense heat. These activities include taking hot showers, sunbathing, and tanning
- Avoid anything that can irritate the area of injection.
- Make sure you have realistic expectations regarding the difference facial fillers can make. Discuss with your doctor the possibility of additional treatment for any reservations you may have.
At Apex Center for Regenerative Medicine in New Jersey, we offer various services for all your needs. We understand that patients may have many questions and reservations while getting the treatment, which is why we invite you to book your appointment and consult with Dr. Savarino prior to proceeding with any treatment.