If you’re suffering from knee pain due to arthritis, injury, or other degenerative issues, you may be considering knee surgery. However, surgery often requires a lengthy and painful recovery period. Regenerative Medicine is a proven nonsurgical option to avoid going under the knife.
What is Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative medicine utilizes your body’s natural healing abilities to repair damaged tissue. Treatment involves injecting the healers of your body, such as platelets or stem cells into the knee to reduce inflammation and promote regeneration of the damaged tissue.
Two standard regenerative options for knee pain include:
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy – A concentration of your own platelets is injected into the knee to supply growth factors to stimulate healing
- Stem cell therapy – Mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow or fat are injected to facilitate tissue repair These minimally invasive injections leverage your body’s wound-healing abilities to heal damaged joint tissue. Dr. Savarino recommends scheduling a regenerative medicine consultation before any surgical interventions. You may be a candidate if you suffer from the following:
- Persistent arthritis pain, even if you have been told you are “bone on bone”
· Limited mobility that affects the quality of life
· Those who have had poor results from physical therapy, steroid and or HA (gel) injections.
Regenerative injections are most effective at earlier stages of knee arthritis and injuries before significant cartilage loss has occurred. They can help restore knee function and delay or avoid partial or total knee replacements. Seeking treatment when you first experience persistent pain yields the best results. If you are in pain, schedule your initial appointment. At this appointment, Dr. Savarino will assess the extent of your joint damage through imaging like X-rays or MRI and discuss whether you are a candidate for regenerative medicine.
At Apex Center for Regenerative Medicine, we understand that each patient’s pain is unique. Through a consultation, Dr. Savarino can determine the best pain management treatment for your condition.
In addition to PRP and stem cell injections, TenJet™may be another option. TenJet™ is a nonsurgical and minimally invasive procedure that takes only fifteen minutes with limited downtime. During this treatment, scar tissue is removed so new, healthy tissue can grow, restoring your natural tendon function. This procedure is best for those suffering from knee pain from Quadriceps Tendinopathy and Patellar Tendinopathy. Sometimes this can be combined with PRP and/or stem cell injections as well.
Thanks to these effective and proven nonsurgical options, you can improve knee pain and avoid going under the knife. With regenerative medicine, Dr. Savarino can address knee pain early and get you back to a more active lifestyle. Interested in exploring regenerative medicine as an option for dealing with knee pain? Complete the patient inquiry form on our website to activate an appointment with one of our Patient Advisors, or call (732) 385-2739 today!
Dr. Daniel Savarino, DO, is a sport and regenerative medicine specialist in Tinton Falls. He is an established and highly skilled physician specializing in sports and regenerative medicine, pain management, anti-aging therapies, and aesthetics. Learn more about Dr. Savarino at regeneratenj.com